Thursday, December 27, 2007

False Advertising

I’m not asking for or expecting every clothing store to carry to plus sizes (though I admit it’d be pretty cool). However, when a store advertises with a slogan like “clothing for every girl in every size” I tend to tilt my head to the side and say “Oh really?”

I’m speaking of the chain store Maurices. Their recent commercials mention the phrase above, a few seconds after advertising that their sizes go to 24. Don’t get me wrong, I’m certainly glad these larger chain stores are carrying plus size clothing. What I’m ranting about are the words “every size.” It’d be more accurate to say “we have clothes for thin and fat people, unless you’re over a size 24.” The statement “every size” is false advertising, plain and simple.

In reality it’d be pretty hard to have a store that carries every size. There’s always going to be someone bigger or smaller than you are (unless you’re the biggest or smallest person on earth, of course - check Guinness). The slogan is stupid, at best. Even so, playing devil's advocate I can understand the store’s reasoning in their slogan, at least to an extent. It helps draw in consumers of larger than average sizes and makes them feel good about themselves. However it’s certainly not doing much to boost the confidence and self esteem of anyone over a size 24. I’m a size 28/30. I must be *really* fat if a store that carries every size doesn’t have mine.

~Aurora

1 comment:

goooooood girl said...

your blog is good good good......